ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Plotting on Z-Axis
Posted by Vivek on Feb-06-2008 12:33
Hello,

Our requirement is to plot a map, which defines the values on the X,Y axis and the Z-axis varying.

Do the ChartDirector Api provide any support?
The evaluation copy which was downloaded did not have any documentation regarding the same.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Plotting on Z-Axis
Posted by Peter Kwan on Feb-07-2008 00:58
Hi Vivek,

I assume you are referring to a "contour chart" or a "3D surface chart". Unluckily, the current version of ChartDirector cannot draw these kinds of charts.

Whereas ChartDirector can accept 3 data values (or even 4, 5, 6 ... values) per point, it can only represent the 3rd, 4th ... values in certain ways. For example, in a bubble chart, the 3rd and 4th values can be used to control the bubble dimension, and in a vector chart, the 3rd and 4th values can be used to control the vector magnitude and direction.

If you are not referring to a "contour chart" or a "3D surface chart", may be you can inform me which type of chart you would like to draw? An image attachment, or a link to a web page or image will be useful.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by James Drysdale on Sep-28-2017 23:35
Dear Peter,

I searching the forum for a solution to my problem and this seamed close to what I wanted to do but I dont completely understand the posts.

What I would like to do is to have the colour on a surface plot depend on a 4th variable rather than the Z-axis.

In my case the Y-axis is days, The X-axis is time into that day and the Z axis is current. I would like to have the colour of the surface as a 4th variable which is temperature. The intention is to visualize the relationship between current peaks and temperature peaks.

The set of data points is incomplete so the surface is interpolated for both the Z axis data and temperature data if that makes a difference.

Do you know if this is possible?

thank you for any help you can give me.

James

Posted by Peter Kwan on Sep-29-2017 04:05
Hi James,

Unluckily, the current version of ChartDirector does not support drawing a 3D surface chart using a 4th variable for the color.

Instead of a 3D surface chart, a contour chart can also show XYZ information. It is possible to create a contour chart in which the contours are based on the Z coordinate, while the colors are based on a fourth variable. This works for the contour chart because for 2D charts, ChartDirector supports layering.

You can also consider to just draw two separate contour charts, one using the current as the Z coordinate, and one using the temperature, then use a button to allow the user to switch between the two views.

Regards
Peter Kwan