ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

when support web? i mean's javascript.
Posted by blot on Mar-08-2017 09:43
react,vue,angularjs

Re: when support web? i mean's javascript.
Posted by Peter Kwan on Mar-09-2017 01:14
Hi blot,

You can freely use ChartDirector in a web page that uses react, vue or angularjs. Ther is no conflict. However, ChartDirector itself does not need or use any of the third party Javascript frameworks.

For ChartDirector, the charting code runs on the server side. The chart can be generated as PNG or JPEG and displays on the web page. The chart can also be generated as SVG and then rendered on the browser side. User interaction features (such as track cursors, drag to zoom/scroll, viewport control, etc) are handled using Javascript on the browser side. The Javascript is self-contained, and does not require any particular framework, so it should work with all third party frameworks.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by blot on Mar-14-2017 18:50
i mean like echart.js
https://github.com/ecomfe/echarts
a javascript libary

Posted by Peter Kwan on Mar-15-2017 02:31
Hi blot,

The design of ChartDirector is different from echart. ChartDirector is a server side charting library, and echart is a browser side library. ChartDirector would not run purely on the browse side, just like echart would you run purely on any PHP/ASP.NET/JSP server. However, ChartDirector can run on a system that uses Javascript, just like echart can run on a system that uses PHP/ASP.NET/JSP.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Tim on Jan-09-2018 15:19
Have you explored WebAssembly at all? This would let you compile your libraries down to javascript, letting you do client side rendering. Would it be possible to provide a webassembly library in addition to the .so? http://webassembly.org

Posted by Peter Kwan on Jan-11-2018 02:35
Hi Tim,

We will explore WebAssembly. WebAssembly is quite new, and it seems the browsers have  just started to support it.

The WebAssembly technology looks promising, but we feel that it would also take quite some time and effort to port ChartDirector to it. For example, ChartDirector uses the font files to determine the font metrics and to render text. I suspect in WebAssembly, it would not have fonts or font metrics available at that level. Also, to be useful, we need to port the controls, which is desktop framework dependent (such as MFC/Qt/ActiveX/.NET Windows Forms/WPF/SWING) to one suitable to run in a browser. All these are not insurmountable, but it takes time.

Regards
Peter Kwan