ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Missing truetype fonts running Win64 under 'wine'
Posted by DC Kelley on Dec-28-2017 23:19
Attachments:
Peter
I have a strange question to ask regarding how fonts work in CD and the 'wine' environment of the Mac.    We use the 64 bit chartdir60.dll (version 6.0.5.0) in a commercial product to chart various GPS/GNSS things with the similar dll for the Ubuntu flavor of the product.

All works fine, as it has for years (love this product).  With the window products we just ship the DLL.  With the UNIX one we ship the fonts folder as well.  I was also under the impression that if a named font could not be found, CD would cleverly revert to what it could fine.

I have a user who is running the Windows release under "Wine" emulation on Mac OS and reports that all the various charts do not display any textual labels there.  Typical images below.

Any thoughts on how to overcome this?  If there any value to always shipping the /fonts folder in all releases to perhaps allow the chartdir60.dll to see them in the local paths?
IssuesWithTextLabels.png

Re: Missing truetype fonts running Win64 under 'wine'
Posted by Peter Kwan on Dec-29-2017 03:35
Hi DC Kelley,

I had never used WINE before. Today I downloaded it and try it myself. I found that in WINE, the [windows]fonts subdirectory is completely empty. As ChartDirector for Windows obtains fonts from the "[windows]fonts" directory, so ChartDirector is unable to find any font and therefore the text cannot be displayed.

I downloaded the arial font and put it into the WINE [windows]fonts subdirectory and try again, and in the case the text are displayed normally for my test chart (which only use the arial font).

You can download a number of Microsoft fonts (including the Arial, Times New Roman, Courier New, Verdana, ...) and install it on any operating system legally. See:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34153&release_id=105355

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq8.htm

For your case, if your application uses only Microsoft fonts that can be downloaded to any OS, you can advice your client to download the fonts you use into the WINE [windows]/fonts subdirectory.

Regards
Peter Kwan