ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector General
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Web Host?
Posted by Ceno on Nov-14-2004 18:08
Hi, i would like to know if anyone here used or been using Chartdirector on a shared Unix web server.
I downloaded the php version but couldnt get it work. php dl extensions is the problem i believe.

Can anyone tell me a web hosting co with a shared hosting plan to make Chartdirector work?

Thank you

Re: Web Host?
Posted by Peter Kwan on Nov-15-2004 07:54
Hi,

In general, it is easiest to use ChartDirector for .NET, JSP/Java, Perl and Python on a shared server. It is because these technologies typically does not need any administrator privileges for installing extensions. Usually, you just need to FTP some files to your web server directory.

For ChartDirector for PHP, it depends on your hosting vendor. If you hosting vendor is not running PHP in "Safe Mode" (therefore has disabled a lot of PHP functions), and is not explicitly disabling "dl" (dynamic loading of extensions), then usually you may install ChartDirector for PHP just by FTP to your private web server directory.

From our experience, about 50% of the hosting vendor will running PHP using default configurations (that is, not in Safe Mode, and not disabling "dl") for shared hosting, so ChartDirector for PHP should install easily on these hosts. If you are using a shared host with Safe Mode enabled or with "dl" explicitly disabled, you may need to ask your hosting vendor to see if they are willing to install ChartDirector for you, or if they can move you to a host without Safe Mode and without disabling "dl" (some hosting vendors have different kind of hosts).

For testing and support purposes, we current;y have 3 shared hosting accountings from verio.com, pair.com and olm.net. Two of them is FreeBSD based, and one of them is Linux based. All of them work well with ChartDirector. (Safe Mode is not enabled, and "dl" is not explicitly disabled.)

(Note: We are not recommending or endorsing the above hosting vendors. We just tell you our experience. Also, the join the shared hosting plan a few years ago and it is still working. Some vendors may change to different kind of hosts for new accounts. To verify, please ask you vendor to show you the "phpinfo" page of their PHP system. The "phpinfo" page describes there PHP configuration in deetails. Please ensure that the "Safe Mode" is not enabled, and the "dl" is not included as "disable_functions".)

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Ceno on Nov-18-2004 04:09
Hi again, I emailed pair.net and they confirmed that everything is in order and script should work, so I opened an account with them today but again no luck;

here is the problem;
Error loading "phpchartdir421.dll" from the PHP extension directory "./" (note: directory ambiguous):
PHP error: Unable to load dynamic library './phpchartdir421.dll' - Cannot open "./phpchartdir421.dll"

Also try to load "phpchartdir421.dll" from "/usr/www/users/ccc/ChartDirector/lib" but unsuccessful:
PHP error: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/www/users/ccc/ChartDirector/lib/phpchartdir421.dll' - Shared object "libc.so.6" not found
Please refer to your ChartDirector for PHP documentation or click here for online trouble-shooting instructions. The following information may be useful.
Operating System : FreeBSD marapi.pair.com 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #2: Tue Oct i386
PHP version : 4.3.8
PHP / Web Server interface : apache
PHP configuration file location : "/usr/local/etc/php.ini"
PHP extension directory : "./" (note: directory ambiguous)

-------------
I checked the libc.so.6 file there is no such file in usr/lib/ directory, but there is a libc.so file.

Ok, what should i do now in order to make it work?

Thank you

Posted by Peter Kwan on Nov-18-2004 05:01
Hi Ceno,

I just want to verify if you are using the FreeBSD version of ChartDirector. As according to the error message, the operating system of the host is FreeBSD. I have the impression that "libc.so.6" may be is a Linux file. So this problem may occur if you are using a Linux version of ChartDirector on FreeBSD.

If the above is in fact the cause of the problem, please kindly use the FreeBSD version of ChartDirector instead.

If the above still does not solve the problem, is it possible to allow me to login your account? I can install ChartDirector for you.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Ceno on Nov-18-2004 05:57
yes, I was trying to make linux version work..I corrected the problem installed the right version but still no luck

What is your e-mail, i would like to send the login info..

Thank you

Posted by Peter Kwan on Nov-18-2004 06:01
Hi Ceno,

My email is pkwan@advsofteng.net

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by sebastian gomez on Mar-12-2015 23:35
how about the ASP version?