ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector General
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Browser compatibility
Posted by Richard on Jul-25-2016 19:14
Is there a feature compatibility document indicating which browsers and browser versions are required for features to work?

For instance, zooming and scrolling doesn't appear to work in IE10 or below, and neither does the WebViewPortControl.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Browser compatibility
Posted by Peter Kwan on Jul-26-2016 00:03
Hi Richard,

For IE, the entire ChartDirector (including all the features) should be compatible with IE 8 or above. We have specifically kept an XP machine which cannot upgrade beyond IE 8, and we make sure ChartDirector can work with IE 8. See the attached screen shot showing the WebViewPortControl and zooming working in IE 8.

We also tested ChartDirector with various versions of IE using the IE compatibility feature. I think you already know that you can switch IE 11 to run in IE 10, 9 or 8 mode by pressing "Shift 12" and selecting the IE version that you would like to test.

For FireFox, the earliest version we have tested is version 15. I think the current version of FireFox is version 47.

For Chrome, the earliest version we have tested is version 21. I thin the current version of Chrome is 52.

For Safaris, we have tested the Safari browser in Mac OS X 10.7. (The latest version of Mac OS X is 10.11.)

We have also tested ChartDirector with Android and iOS browsers using the devices we have, and it also works.

If the ChartDirector is not working in IE 10 in your case, would you mind to clarify how did you test it and if there are any error message in the IE debug console (press Shift F12 to open the script debugger)? In our case, we tested it by copying the "bin", "CSharpASP" and "VBNetASP" directories to our IIS web server, and then access the sample code using the various browsers. Are you testing IE 10 inside Visual Studio (with Visual Studio injecting additional debugging scripts into the browser)? Are you using a real IE 10 or an IE 11 running in IE 10 mode?

Regards
Peter Kwan

Re: Browser compatibility
Posted by Richard on Jul-26-2016 15:26
Hi Peter,
What I did was:

File, open web site, and select the ChartDirectorNetWebCharts folder. Start the site via the (VS 2013) debugger using IE11 at the defaut page and then select C# then 'Zoom/Scroll Viewport Control'.
Press F12 for the developer tools and change the user agent string to IE10. Click 'Zoom In' and then attempt to zoom into the chart - it highlights the chart and viewport but doesn't zoom in. Changing back to IE11 makes everything work as expected.

However, I've since noticed that there is a 'Document mode' option which, when set to '10' with the agent string set to IE10, it all works fine. So I guess I should have been changing both of these options to properly emulate IE10.

That's great to know that CD is compatible back to IE8!

Thanks for your help,
Richard