ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector General
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Modernizing the look
Posted by Daniell on Oct-26-2016 02:58
I am curious if there are any plans to update the designs of the charts? They are starting to look dated (late 1990s even?)

Compare them to something like Shinobicontrols charts and clients want the "snappier, more modern look".

Are there plans to overhaul the "out of the box" designs at all?

Re: Modernizing the look
Posted by Peter Kwan on Oct-27-2016 01:57
Hi Daniell,

You probably are already aware that ChartDirector can be configured to have a similar "modern" look.

ChartDirector has been around since 2001, and the many sample code are developed over the years. The newer sample code tends to have newer styles, while the older sample code have older styles. Sometimes we add newer examples for newer styles without removing older examples. because the older examples are simpler and are better as tutorials.

As ChartDirector has been around since 2001, and the defaults for the colors, font size and various styles were chosen to be optimal at that time. Many of the sample code are designed as tutorials, so they tend to be simple and use default values. It is analogous to a "Hello World" web page that just consists of basic <H1>, <H2> and <P> tags without styling to make it simple and easy to understand. Unluckily, we cannot change the default now, otherwise it will break existing code. So more modern charts will need to include more styling and the code will be longer.

In each version of ChartDirector, we will update a portion of the sample code and we will continue to do this in future ChartDirector versions.

We will shortly add a region in our web site for more advanced charting sample code. Initially it will be focused on programming structure. The first few examples probably will be about high speed multi-threading realtime charts or using interrupt driven data acquisition.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Re: Modernizing the look
Posted by Daniell on Oct-28-2016 03:27
Great to hear. I know some things are easier than others to tweak, but I'll play around with it some more.