ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector General
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Support for .Net Core
Posted by Michael on Jan-12-2018 23:08
Hi,
are there any plan to support .Net Core framework?

Thx

Re: Support for .Net Core
Posted by Peter Kwan on Jan-16-2018 01:25
Hi Michael,

Currently, we only support the standard .NET framework. We do not have a confirmed schedule on when we will port ChartDirector to the .NET Core framework.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Keith Nicholas on May-28-2018 07:44
When you say "standard" you mean  .net framework and NOT .net standard?

Because that's what you should be targetting for future versions, .NET standard which will work with framework and core.

Regards,

Keith

Posted by Peter Kwan on May-28-2018 15:38
Hi Keith,

From my understanding, the .NET standard is a very limited subset of the .NET framework and .NET Core. In particular, it does not support any user interface. That's why for real applications, we need .NET Core or .NET Framework or Universal Windows Platform, which are built on-top of the .NET standard.

The .NET standard is useful for "libraries" that do not have user interface or use any features specific to .NET Framework, .NET Core or other implementation. An example is a library for sorting numbers or for numerical integration.

Unluckily, ChartDirector does have "controls" and user interface support, such as clickable hot spots, programmable track cursors, drag to zoom/scroll, viewport control, etc.. This makes it impossible to target the .NET standard alone.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Keith Nicholas on Jun-01-2018 09:34
.net standard has no UI, but it does have drawing.  For your web offering it would be nice to have a .net standard version that is cross platform.

Posted by Peter Kwan on Jun-02-2018 01:44
Hi Keith,

We have investigated .NET standard in the past. At that time, we found that there is no graphics capabilities.

I just looked at the latest .NET Standard 2.0, but I cannot find any graphics capability.

I found a System.Drawing namespace, which supports a very small subset of the "data structures" for drawing. For example, it has a class for Color, and one for Point (which is just two numbers for the x and y coordinates), and one for Rectangle (which is just 4 points). It cannot actually draw any of them. Drawing requires an object that can draw things, such as the "System.Drawing.Graphics" object, and also something to draw onto, such as a "System.Drawing.Bitmap" object. But these things do not seem to be available even in the latest version of the .NET Standard.

Regards
Peter Kwan