ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Altering the drawarea at runtime
Posted by Danieldeparis on May-04-2019 19:35
Attachments:
Hi Peter,

Over the last couple yeary we have started to routinely impose "star-based ratings" images onto our CD-based charting output.

Up to now, we simply embedded pictures either as "png-based routines" or using CD standard symbols. They include stars. Which is great. Producing these "integer-based" star ratings material is quite easy indeed :-)

Thanks for the great API!

We now have the request to impose "decimal-ratings" onto the output - see the attachments.

We could possibly use GDI calls - we are on Winxx - or alternative libraries for this. But there is possibly a simpler way to do this right within the CD toolbox.

Any simple way to deliver the output required ? An ability to run this o arbitrary colored png resources would be even greater.

Kind regards, Daniel
integer_ratings.png
decimal_ratings_with_markers.png

Re: Altering the drawarea at runtime
Posted by Danieldeparis on May-06-2019 14:00
Hi Peter,

As a supplement to my question, which may or not be clear enough, I am considering an alternative solution that would basically work this way:
1- provide two distinct images ahead of the process - say png resources, one for the full value (say a black or golden star) and one for the null value (ie some sort of blank star),
2- (pre-)load the two of them as drawarea "objects" at runtime,
3- build the "decimal-valued star image" drawarea at runtime from the two resources using the merge functionality upon each plot building,
4- either feed this  "decimal-valued star image" either directly as drawarea or as png when this is required - for example as https://www.advsofteng.com/gallery_scatter.html when used on scatter plots
https://www.advsofteng.com/gallery_scatter.html

Does that seem a reasonable way to provide this "half-colored" images?

Regards, Daniel

Re: Altering the drawarea at runtime / sorry for "typo"
Posted by Danieldeparis on May-06-2019 15:39
Hi Peter,

As a supplement to my question, which may or not be clear enough, I am considering an alternative solution that would basically work this way:
1- provide two distinct images ahead of the process - say png resources, one for the full value (say a black or golden star) and one for the null value (ie some sort of blank star),
2- (pre-)load the two of them as drawarea "objects" at runtime,
3- build the "decimal-valued star image" drawarea at runtime from the two resources using the merge functionality upon each plot building,
4- either feed this  "decimal-valued star image" either directly as drawarea or as png when this is required when used as custom images on scatter plots, for example in the "battle Robots" sample in:
https://www.advsofteng.com/gallery_scatter.html

Does that seem a reasonable way to provide this "half-colored" images?

Regards, Daniel

Posted by Peter Kwan on May-06-2019 17:00
Hi Danieldeparis,

It happened ChartDirector has a built-in star symbol. See:

https://www.advsofteng.com/doc/cdnet.htm#builtinsymbols.htm

If you can accept using the built-in star symbol instead of the image, one easier method is to simply create a scatter chart using the built-in star symbol. You can use one scatter layer per symbol. For the symbol color, you can use a "x-zone color", which is a color that changes based on the x-coordinate. See:

https://www.advsofteng.com/doc/cdnet.htm#xzonecolor.htm

Suppose you configure the x-axis to be x = 0 to 3 (eg. using Axis.setLinearScale), and the three symbols are centered at x = 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, and the symbol size is around 0.9 x-axis unit. (I leave a gap of 0.1 x-axis unit between symbols.) So to fill the symbol at 30%, it is like (in C#):

//
// Consider the symbol centered at x = 1.5, y = 0.5
//
int symbolColor = c.xZoneColor(1.5 + 0.9 * (0.3 - 0.5), 0x555555, 0xeeeeee);

// Add the symbol using the above color
c.addScatterLayer(new double[] { 1.5 }, new double[] { 0.5 }, "", symbolColor, 9, symbolColor, symbolColor).setSymbolScale(new double[] { 0.9 }, Chart.XAxisScale);

By putting the above code in a loop, it should be able to generate all the stars.

If you prefer to use images, there is a similar method. Instead of using 0x555555, 0xeeeeee as the colors, you can use the two images two create two pattern colors (BaseChart.patternColor2), and use them to paint a square symbol.

Hope this can help.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Peter Kwan on May-06-2019 17:03
Hi Danieldeparis,

The addScatterLayer above has a mistake. I forgot about the shape. It should be:

c.addScatterLayer(new double[] { 1.5 }, new double[] { 0.5 }, "", Chart.StarShape(5), 9, symbolColor, symbolColor).setSymbolScale(new double[] { 0.9 }, Chart.XAxisScale);

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Danieldeparis on May-08-2019 00:11
Hi Peter,

Peter Kwan wrote:
Hope this can help.

Thanks for your very detailed feedback on my questions. I'll come back later on this thread once we have settled for a solution.

We will certainly use distinct solutions for CD symbols such as stars and arbitrary png content. There is anyway clearly plenty of alternatives for such a question.

Of course we aim at simple code and, whenever possible, a way to avoid temporary file resources. The speed is clearly always there with CD. And that's great.

Regards for the great support here on the forum:-)
Daniel