ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Symantec warning for pychartdir37.pyd
Posted by Mikael on Jun-06-2019 16:48
We are seeing WS.Reputation.1 as described here: https://www.symantec.com/en/hk/security-center/writeup/2010-051308-1854-99

Re: Symantec warning for pychartdir37.pyd
Posted by Peter Kwan on Jun-06-2019 20:49
Hi Mikael,

According to the information from Symantec, this warning means Symantec cannot find any virus or issue with the DLL. The low reputation warning can be due to the DLL being quite new and not used commonly among users monitored by Symantec.

The "pychartdir37.pyd" is in fact quite new, and it is possible not many of our users are also Symantec users that use Python 3.7 on a Windows machine with ChartDirector.

I will try to contact Symantec to see if I can convince them to remove this warning from this DLL.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Peter Kwan on Jun-06-2019 21:06
In case anyone is reading this thread, the pychartdir37.pyd is a DLL included in ChartDirector for Python for Windows to support Python 3.7. We believe the DLL is safe and the warning is due to not too many Symantec users are using ChartDirector with Python 3.7 on Windows. If you are using ChartDirector for Python, but is not using Python 3.7, you can simply delete this DLL.

Posted by Mikael on Jun-07-2019 17:10
Thank you. We would like to use ChartDirector with python 3.7 on windows, so the effort is appreciated.

Posted by Peter Kwan on Jun-07-2019 23:35
Hi Mikael,

I do not have the enterprise Symantec product, so I try to download their Norton anti-virus for testing. The Norton anti-virus does not report any issue with the pychartdir37.pyd. I am not sure if I can report this issue to Symantec, as I cannot even reproduce the problem. (The first question in their false positive report form is how to reproduce the problem and which Symantec product reports the problem.)

As Norton anti-virus is a Symantec product and it does not detect any issue, I am quite confident there is no issue with the pychartdir37.pyd, and it is just a warning due to Symantec does not seeing is file often.

I also uploaded the pychartdir37.pyd to use a web site www.virustotal.com which claims to scan any uploaded file with something like 60 anti-virus programs, and it reports no issue with all the anti-virus programs.

You may consider to report the false positive yourself. If this is not possible, is it possible to try to "simulate" entering the information in the Symantec false positive report page (just don't press the "Submit" buttoon in the last page). There are several multiple choice questions about when the detection occurs, which symantec product is being used, etc.. Please let me know what are the answers so I can report the false positive to Symantec.

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Regards
Peter Kwan