ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

ChartDirector for ASP/COM/VB em 64 bits native
Posted by lucianodevargas on Jun-22-2021 21:58
I need to use in ms access 365 64 bits, as I do, do not appear ActiveX in it.

I can register normally, and it appears in the references... but in the form when I go to add ActiveX it doesn't appear in the list...

Re: ChartDirector for ASP/COM/VB em 64 bits native
Posted by Peter Kwan on Jun-24-2021 03:22
Hi Luciano.

ChartDirector for ASP/COM/VB contains a library to create charts, and an OCX (ActiveX) control to display the generated charts and supports tooltips and hot spots on the chart. The library can be used for 64-bit applications. Many of our customers use it with Microsoft IIS (Internet Information Service) on 64-bit Windows to create web applications.

The ActiveX control can only be used in 32-bit applications. However, it is not mandatory to use the control. For desktop applications (like office applications), one way is to create the chart as an image file, and then use the standard Microsoft VBA controls to display the chart image, such as the Microsoft Image control.

I happened to have a real-time chart VBA example for Microsoft Excel. It is an Excel spreadsheet with chart that updates in real-time with random data. It requires the machine to have ChartDirector for ASP/COM/VB installed. The spreadsheet should work in both 32-bit and 64-bit Excel.

https://www.advsofteng.com/support/cd_excel_realtime_demo.zip

For your case, you are using MS Access, but I think the code structure should be similar. The code should be like:

‘ Create the ChartDirector API object
Set cd = CreateObject("ChartDirector.API")

' Create a XYChart object
Set c = cd.XYChart(600, 400)

.... configure the chart as usual ....

‘ Display the chart using the Microsoft Image control
fName = Environ("temp") & "test.bmp"
Call c.makeChart(fName)
Image1.Picture = LoadPicture(fName)

The drawback of the Image control is it does not have built-in support of tooltips and hot spots. If you must have tooltip and hot spot support, there is an undocumented ImageMapHandler object in the ChartDirector API that can help. It can determine which hot spot is under a given coordinate. You can handle the mouse move event of the Image control, use the mouse coordinates to determine the hot spot under the mouse, put the tooltip text in a standard TextBox control, and position the TextBox to follow the mouse. This can emulate the tooltip. If you need more information, please let me know.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Andrew DeMerchant on Apr-27-2022 02:46
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious about how to go about doing this tooltip emulation in 64bit VBA. I've got my chart showing in an image control now. Is there some sample code showing this method somewhere?

Thanks!

Posted by Peter Kwan on Apr-28-2022 03:50
Hi Andrew,

Below contains 2 Excel VBA examples - one is for 32-bit, and the other is for both 64-bit and 32-bit. It demonstrates how to use the ImageMapHandler to support tooltips and hot spots.

https://www.advsofteng.com/support/cd_excel_demo5_64bit.zip

Best Regards
Peter Kwan