ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Setup
Posted by Jesse on Feb-10-2022 05:21
I'm stuck trying to set up my first project. I keep getting an error when trying to link the lib32 folder. I'm using Visual Studio and have tried my best to follow along with the installation documentation but I get this error:
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:UsersjesseDocumentsold desktopChartDirectorlib32.obj'

Any help/ guidance would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Re: Setup
Posted by Peter Kwan on Feb-10-2022 15:36
Attachments:
Hi Jesse,

From your description, I assume you are using C++ on Windows with Visual Studio. I assume you have already tried the sample Visual Studio solutions that come with the download and confirm they works.

In general, in C++, to compile a program, you need the header files (".h"). To link the program, you need the library file (".lib"). To run the program, you need the executable (".dll").

For ChartDirector, the header file is "chartdir.h" and other dependent header files in the same directory as "chartdir.h". The "library file" is "lib32/chartdir70.lib" or "lib64/chartdir70.lib", depending on whether you are compile for Win32 or x64. The "executable file" is "lib32/chartdir70.dll" or "lib64/chartdir70.dll".

From your error message, it seems it can compile correct, which means Visual Studio is able to find the header file.

Your project seems to be configured to link to a file 'C:UsersjesseDocumentsold desktopChartDirectorlib32.obj", and that file does not exist. The ChartDirector library file should be at "ChartDirectorlib32chartdir70.lib", assuming you are compiling for Win32. In our own project, we configured the linker to use "..\..\lib32\chartdir70.lib", as this is the path relative to the project directory. For your case, please configure your linker to use a suitable path.

Please also note that to actually run the program, you need to the "chartdir.70.dll" to be in the same directory as the hosting executable ".exe". In our project, we copy the "chartdir70.dll" to the executable folder in a post build event. You can also manually copy it if you like.

Regards
Peter Kwan
devenv_20220210152937.png