ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

any news on adding a shadow to a line in a graph?
Posted by James Sentman on Feb-14-2022 01:45
I realize this does not add a huge amount of new functionality compared to many of the features that you’ve added in the last 10 years or so, but it remains something I would very much like to do. The example of creating a drop shadow on everything in the graph really does not do what is needed. As far as I know there is now an API for adding a shadow to any drawing for every platform and target that you support. Please consider implementing a way to add a drop shadow to individual components like the graph line object and others in the future.

It’s entirely possible I’ve missed an update that adds this, but I can find nothing here in the support boards nor in the documentation that sounds like it would do that?

Re: any news on adding a shadow to a line in a graph?
Posted by Peter Kwan on Feb-15-2022 03:36
Hi James,

Unluckily, ChartDirector can only add drop shadow for the entire chart. If the chart does not have a transparent background, then the drop shadow is effectively the shadow for the chart frame, like:

https://www.advsofteng.com/doc/cdnet.htm#unevenpoints.htm

If the chart has a transparent background, the all things on the chart will have drop shadow. There is currently no API to control drop shadow on a per chart object level.

In some cases, you may combine multiple charts so that only part of the combined chart has drop shadow. For example, you can create a chart with transparent background and just contains a legend box. In this case, the legend box will have drop shadow. You can then "merge" that legend box into main chart (using DrawArea.merge), so that the main chart will have a legend box with drop shadow.

Regards
Peter Kwan