ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Net 6.0
Posted by Peter on Dec-16-2022 18:26
hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I searched the forum without success.

I installed ChartDirector v7.0 via Nuget for a c# wpf project targetting framework Net 6.0. Usually the wpf chartviewer would be nicely installed in the toolbox but not this time.

Is there a way to manually install v7.0 or is there some compatibility issue somewhere?

I have no trouble with Net Framework 4.7.2

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Net 6.0
Posted by Peter Kwan on Dec-16-2022 23:10
Attachments:
Hi,

Please try to open the "ChartDirector/NetCoreWPFCharts/NetCoreWPFCharts.sln" sample code. It is a WPF project for .NET Core and .NET 5 and .NET 6. You can choose the target by using Project Properties.

In my case, the WPFChartViewer does show in the toolbox. I am using Visual Studio 2002. See attached screenshot.

Note that the package you need to reference is ChartDirector.Net.Desktop.Controls.

The ".NET Framework" and ".NET Core/.NET" are two different and incompatible frameworks. (In my opinion, Microsoft's naming is confusing.) ChartDirector ".NET Framework" assembly can be installed without Nuget, while it is suggested you use nuget for ".NET Core/.NET".

Microsoft released .NET Framework 1.0 to 4.x. Then Microsoft developed another incompatible system initially called ".NET Core" (from 1.0 to 3.0), but later changed the name to just ".NET" (from 5.0 to 6.0).

The "NET Core" is originally designed for hosting web applications in the cloud. The issue with the ".NET Framework" is that the host needs to install the proper version of the huge .NET Framework runtime, and it only works on Windows. The ".NET Core" is designed so that the executable will embed the part of the runtime that is necessary, and the code is Windows independent. In this way, the executable is self-contained and it can easily be hosted in the cloud. To do this, ".NET Core" needs to know the dependency requirements of all libraries. That's why it is better to use nuget for ".NET Core" as it manages all the dependencies.

Best Regards
Peter Kwan
wpf_net_6.png

Re: Net 6.0
Posted by Peter on Dec-17-2022 00:13
Understood....I was referencing Chartdirector.net. Changing that to Chartdirector.Net.Desktop.Controls has made the controls visible in the ToolBox.
All good.
Thanks.