ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

License
Posted by Rick Issen on Feb-06-2023 18:00
Hi Peter,

I'm using Chartdirector 7 over the years with the same valid license (actually purchased two ones)...

Then I have seen that the latest library on your download page (*.lib, *.dll) was never then mine in use.

So I have copied the never files in my directory and have overwritten the old V7 ones.

Now, the text: "Chartdirector (unregistered) from www.advsofteng.com" appears in yellow under the chart. Why?

Regards,
Rick

Re: License
Posted by Peter Kwan on Feb-06-2023 18:54
Hi Rick,

The following code will create a text string that contains the details of how ChartDirector is trying to load the license and why it is not accepted. You can then display the text string to see the cause of the problem.

char s[8192];
Chart::getBootLog(s);

The exact method to display the text string depends on your program type and framework. From your previous post in the forum, it seems you are using C++/MFC. In MFC, if the program is compiled in debug mode and run in Visual Studio, you can display the text string in the Visual Studio Debug window by using the TRACE macro, like "TRACE(s);". See:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/debugapi/nf-debugapi-outputdebugstringa?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Please kindly let me know what is the result.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Peter Kwan on Feb-06-2023 19:45
Hi Rick,

The official ChartDirector 7 is released in Jul, 2021.

https://www.chartdir.com/forum/download_thread.php?site=chartdir&bn=chartdir_announcement&thread=1626878066

Because we have many editions of ChartDirector (C++, PHP, Perl, .NET, ....),  and it takes some time for all the editions to be ported to 7.0, some editions of ChartDirector were already available in May 2021. If your ChartDirector for C++ DLL was released in May or June 2021, it would work with license that is only valid up to ChartDirector 6, even though the DLL is of version 7.

In Jul 2021, we updated the ChartDirector for C++ release so that it requires license that is valid up to ChartDirector 7.

Would it be possible that your license was issued before Jun 2015, so that it is only valid up to ChartDirector 6, and your ChartDirector 7.0 DLL happens to be of the May 2021 version (before we enforce the ChartDirector 7.0 license requirement)?

Best Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Rick Issen on Feb-06-2023 20:18
Hi Peter,

Yes, I downloaded CD7 just after it was available on your site! And to that time you stated that CD6 license can be used also for CD7!

Do I have to go back to the old CD7 now? Because I bought the license via my (ex) firm. What can we do?

Regards,
Ralf

Posted by Peter Kwan on Feb-07-2023 14:52
Hi Rick,

As we allow for free upgrade by one major version, CD6 license can use CD7, and CD5 license can use CD6.

That means if previously you were using CD6, it does not mean the license is CD6. It can be CD5 and you may have already upgraded once to CD6. In the latter case, it would not work with CD7, except for CD7 that was released in the transition period (May or Jun 2021 - before CD7 was released officially).

I will contact you by email about your license details. If your license is CD6 (that is, on the purchase date of the license, the ChartDirector version is CD6), it should work with CD7.

Best Regards
Peter Kwan